Male Breast Reduction
What is gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is a condition of over-developed or enlarged breasts in men that can occur at any age. The condition can be the result of hormonal changes, heredity, obesity, or the use of certain drugs.
Gynecomastia can cause emotional discomfort and impair your self-confidence. Some men may even avoid certain physical activities and intimacy simply to hide their condition.
Gynecomastia is characterized by:
- Excess localized fat
- Excess glandular tissue development
- Sometimes excess breast skin
- Presence unilaterally (one breast) or bilaterally (both breasts)
What is gynecomastia surgery?
Gynecomastia surgery, or male breast reduction, reduces breast size, flattening and enhancing the chest contours.
In severe cases of gynecomastia, the weight of excess breast tissue may cause the breasts to sag and stretch the areola (the dark skin surrounding the nipple). In these cases the position and size of the areola can be surgically improved and excess skin may be reduced.
Plastic surgery to correct gynecomastia is technically called reduction mammaplasty but is commonly known as male breast reduction.
Gynecomastia surgery candidates include:
- Men who are bothered by the feeling that their breasts are too large
- Men whose condition cannot be corrected through alternative medical treatments
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- Men with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for improving the physical symptoms of gynecomastia
- Men who are physically healthy and of relatively normal weight
- Men whose breast development has stabilized
Holley Surgical Arts has two offices conveniently located in both Stuart and Port Saint Lucie. Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Daniel Holley and his entire staff are committed to your privacy, comfort and goals. We offer a large spectrum of cosmetic enhancements and non-surgical procedures for your personal refinement and encourage you to contact us for a complimentary consultation. We are proud to be the preferred choice of many of the area’s doctors, their spouses and their friends.